Cruise ships offer you the chance for wonderful adventures in luxurious style. Whether you’re headed off on your first cruise or you’ve been around the world on a ship, there are some things you should do to get ready for a cruise. Make sure you’re prepared by doing the following:
– Get your documents in order. You’ll need more than just your ticket to board a cruise ship. You’ll need a government ID. In addition, depending on your itinerary, you may need a passport and visa, as well. Check with your cruise line to be sure you have all the documents you need for your trip.
– Figure out your budget. While your ticket will cover most of your expenses, you’re likely going to end up spending on extras, as well. Set money aside ahead of time to pay for things like shore excursions and drinks, and be sure to figure out how your cruise line handles tipping for staff members.
– Avoid overpacking. Cruise cabins are much smaller than hotel rooms on average, so try to pack light and efficiently. To do so, learn as much as you can about the dress code so you can plan your outfits, and find out what you’ll be provided in terms of toiletries. If you can leave your soap, shampoo, and beach towel out of your suitcase, you’ll have that much more room for souvenirs and other items.
– Create a schedule. Your cruise will have onboard entertainment and special events, as well as shore excursions available. All of these things can be planned ahead of time, if you want, which may help you to get reservations and avoid scrambling to find something to do once you’re on the ship.
– Bring cash with you. You may want cash for shore trips or activities like an onboard casino. Figure out what you think you’ll need and try to bring it ahead of time, as ATMs can be hard to find and expensive once you’re underway.